Monday, June 14, 2010

Vacation Weekend

So last week ended up being pretty good. We didn't end up going fishing but on Tuesday we went to the beach with some of Miguel's friends and played soccer and swam for most of the afternoon. Wednesday was his day off so we slept in until the beginning of the afternoon and then headed downtown to run some errands. We also went to play basketball and at nighttime we ordered a pizza and watched movies.

Thursday we left Tuxpan after Miguel finished work. Our bus left around 3:45 and I think we got to the hotel around 7 or 7:30 after making a quick stop to grab some dinner. We were kind of tired from traveling so we just stayed around the hotel that night. We walked around a little bit, checked out the pool area, and just watched movies in the room until we went to bed.


On Friday we woke up kind of late and watched the first games of the world cup. Mexico played South Africa and tied 1-1. While watching the game we ordered room service so we had our breakfast in bed which was super nice. Not to mention we were in an air conditioned room – I was finally able to sleep through the night instead of waking up every hour sweating my butt off. After the game was over we headed down to the pool for a little while. We didn’t stay too long, but it was nice to refresh and lay in the sun. After pool time, we decided to get ready and head into Tecolutla which was about a 10 minute bus ride from our hotel. We walked around for a while and it reminded me a lot like Zihuatanejo, just not so big. It was kind of a touristy town which a bunch of stands selling stuff along with plenty of restaurants. Once we got to know most of the downtown we went to a restaurant for dinner and each had shrimp cocktails which were pretty good. It was fun being in Tecolutla – everyone was really nice and either wanted us to buy stuff , eat at their restaurant, or go on a tour. I think we headed back to the hotel around 8:00 or so and then just hung out at the room and watched movies the rest of the night.

Saturday we headed back to Tecolutla and spent the whole day at the beach. First though we went and got breakfast and watched the beginning of the U.S. vs. England soccer game. After eating and drinking a pitcher of horchata we hopped in a taxi and went to the beach. When we got there, we grabbed a few chairs under a palm umbrella. Once we got everything situated, we threw the Frisbee around that we had just bought in town which was pretty fun. After that, I was pretty thirsty so I ordered a michelada and Miguel got a coconut which was delicious. We played cards too which was really fun. Miguel taught me a new game that is kind of hard to explain but I think I won more than him haha. Later we played Frisbee again and jumped swam a little bit in the water before walking down the beach towards downtown. We walked around a little bit more and looked at some of the stands for sunglasses but had no luck. We were pretty tired so we decided that we’d have dinner at the hotel so we headed back to shower and then go eat. There was a huge group of cheerleaders staying at the hotel and they were all eating when we came to the restaurant so we decided to eat outside. It was really nice because there were a ton of stars out. After we ate we walked around a little bit and then decided to call it a night.

Sunday was really fun because after checking out of the hotel around 12:30 we took a bus to Papantla because we went to Tajín which is a ancient ruins site with a bunch of pyramids. Papantla is a really cool town – it’s really hilly and seems to have a lot of indigenous people living there. It was so beautiful and I think the town is really proud of its culture. We walked around for a while when we got there – first we went to a museum which was really cool because it had a bunch of murals and sculptures of the indigenous people who had lived there. Vanilla and coffee are also important agricultural products. After the museum we decided to get some lunch before heading to Tajín. We went to this little restaurant and watched another world cup game before taking another bus. Tajín was really cool and I got a bunch of great pictures. We didn’t have too much time there though because we got there when they were almost closing; I didn’t mind too much though because on Sundays you don’t have to pay to enter. After seeing the pyramids and doing a little bit of shopping at the stands we headed back to Tuxpan. We got home around 8:30 and layed low the rest of the night because we were pretty tired.

Overall the vacation was great and it was so nice to finally doing something fun with Miguel since he has to work almost every day of the week. I think he had a really nice time and I know I sure did. We’ve always been talking about going to another place together that neither of us had been to and finally we did it. It was definitely a perfect weekend – I mean we went to the beach, we shopped, we had dinners together, watched soccer, walked around, visited some pyramids, and a couple new towns. I think it’s safe to say that it was a pretty successful vacation

No comments:

Post a Comment